The majority of us these days have experienced the feeling of being broke and many of us face a real financial struggle some months. However, there are those people who are left with little money to splurge at the end of the month and those who are left with no way to pay their debts and bills because of their finances. If you fall into the latter group there are steps that can help you to try and get on track.
Some of the steps you should consider taking if you are really feeling the pinch financially and you are concerned about whether you will be able to meet your financial obligations include:
- Go through your finances with a fine tooth comb: Many people are surprised at how many cutbacks they are able to make when they go through their outgoings and finances thoroughly. Go through each of the things that goes out of your account each month – make sure your income and outgoings are all logged down so you can manage them more carefully. If there is anything you can cut out, such as unnecessary subscriptions, get them cancelled.
- Switch services: It is possible to save a fair amount each month simply by switching services. Go through all of your utility bills and see which ones you might be able to switch. Then get online and compare prices to see whether there are other providers that can offer you a better deal and if so make the switch.
- Contact creditors: If you have unsecured debts and you are struggling to make repayments, take the time to contact each of your creditors and ask whether they are able to set up a temporary lower payment plan to enable you to get back on your feet financially. Many will be open to coming to some sort of arrangement and this can help to ease the financial strain
- Forget about savings: If you have money that you put into savings, reroute that for a while to avoid getting into debt as otherwise you will find yourself paying out far more in interest than you will earn in interest on savings
- Avoid further debt: It is all too tempting to whip out the credit card when you are short of cash, but if you are already short of money, racking up even more debt is not going to help as you won’t have the means to make repayments. Instead, look at other options such as bringing in a second income through a second job or even taking in a lodger to bring in more money